Thursday, March 8, 2012

What to Wear: Interview Attire



Welcome to a new series featuring myself and Alana from Merry Alana. We're going to discuss what to wear for different events/occasions, such as a first date, holidays, casual Friday. This week is what to wear FOR AN INTERVIEW!

Let me preface this by saying I wore my outfit to the first interview for the job I have now.. so I know it works :)

But the first thing you need to think about is: what kind of job are you interviewing for? What's the company like? If it's more of a formal business/corporate job, you may want to stick with a more formal approach to the interview, a classic suit with a white shirt. I hate dress pants, so I always opt for the skirt or a dress for an interview.

If you're going for a job in a more laid back or creative industry, you can sort of play with your look a bit. You should always:
  1. Look absolutely professional, no matter what.
  2. Dress more formally than not. Which basically means, you should look your best. Just because the rest of the staffs wear jeans to work everyday, doesn't mean you should show up to your interview wearing jeans (even trouser jeans are a no-no).
  3. Make sure you can walk in your shoes! Which usually means new high heels are a no. You don't know how far you'll need to walk from the receptionist desk to the interviewer's office, and if you can't confidently walk in your shoes, you're not showing them how confident and wonderful you are.
  4. Keep your hair nicely coiffed (I usually straighten mine.. it looks best that way). If you put it in a bun or a pony, keep it classic and make sure there are no flyaways.
  5. Keep your accessories to a minimum. You want to be the star and shine.. not all the stuff you're wearing.
  6. Make sure your outfit is pressed. No wrinkles! If you hate ironing, do yourself a favor and take it out and iron your interview outfit.
  7. Have a second (and possibly a third) interview outfit ready. The job I have now had me in for a second interview... It was the first time I ever had to do two interviews, and I wasn't sure what to wear. So, have an idea of what you would wear. Also, it's good to have 2-3 outfits ready for interviews anyway, because you never know how you'll feel the day of the interview. You know what I mean girls... sometimes you feel great in an outfit, and certain times of the month you hate it. 

I actually wore this outfit to my interview at the job I have now (interview was July 2011).. and I wore it to work on Tuesday. I got SO many compliments on the dress. The pattern is nice but not overwhelming and the colors are calming. 

You can use this outfit as a basis for interview outfit two. For my second interview, I wore the same dress in solid black and a grey tuxedo blazer seen here.



Dress: Target (summer 2011)
Blazer: Target (summer 2011)
Shoes: JcPenny's (old)

Don't forget to head over to Alana's blog and see her outfit! This series will run every two weeks. Up on March 22 is What to Wear for a First Date! If you're interested in being a part of the series, please contact Alana or me.. e-mail is in the contact section of my blog.

6 comments:

  1. Yaaay What to Wear # 1! I love your outfit! That dress is gorgeous. I like that we came to the same conclusion about heels - don't wear them if you can't walk in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true! heels can be VERY disastrous!

      Delete
  2. I love both yours and Alana's take on this! You both wore dresses and blazers! Great minds, it seems ;)

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. and it was totally unplanned :)

      Delete
  3. Great little blog segment! I love this dress though, the colours really make it stand out, and it looks lovely on you. Look forward to the next one! I have no dates, but I can plan... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i always say planning is half the battle :)

      Delete